Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fiesta Parade!!

This post is dedicated to parents new to the Alamo City whose kids have been given the daunting assignment by their Pre-K or Kindergarten teacher to construct a Shoebox Float at home for their school Fiesta Parade, and who might be clueless about how to make one. As of two days ago I was one of these parents!

Today was the big Fiesta Parade Day. I was blown away by some of the floats, most of them not even involving a shoebox of any sort. Turns out all you need is something that can be pulled or dragged behind you on the ground. You can use any theme you want! Here are some examples:

combat float

WWF guys trying to break the life size pinata float

the baby crib float - anything on wheels will do

star wars float

use your latest blockbuster movie Happy Meal toys float

Go Spurs! float - just in time for playoffs!

definitely the largest float, the under-the-bed storage box filled with mama Barbie and all her baby Barbies float

construction time float

Valentine box converted to Fiesta float float, actually using a shoebox!

another Valentine shoebox - way to conserve!

wagon-o-webkinz float

mermaidia-mania float

moving box-of-tissue flowers float

dinofloat

superheroes scaling the firetruck float

disney princess float - one of several

star wars galactic heroes float

red flyer baby animals and daisies float

shopping cart of patriotic dogs float

little mermaid float

"racecar ball of fire" float

shoebox with silk flowers - probably an exact replica of the original "shoebox float"

hot wheels float

pony pulling the carriage pulling the pony princess float

aloha float

puppy travel in style float

soccer star float

last but not least, Barbie Beetle with a decorated shoebox strapped to the top float! It originally featured Dora (it seemed appropriate), but Lilly wanted Belle instead.

As you can see, the sky's the limit!! Don't be intimated by this assignment - be creative! Have fun! and most importantly, HAPPY FIESTA!!!

7 comments:

Steve and Kathy said...

That's my girl...I love you Lilly and the Mom that helped you prepare for the Fiesta. We will use our Fiesta eggs on a Sunday when everyone can be here. Thanks for sharing the parade with us!!!!

Amy said...

Aww! Lilly is so darn cute! Wow, some of those floats are really out of here! I saw Mandi working on Brian's float... whew!

Trainer Momma said...

Muy bien, mi amiga! Just wait, in kindergarten, the floats are HUGE.

Garrett Mansell said...

Kristen,
Way to go, cute fiesta float and what a creative fun experience for the kids, not so much for the parents!! ha ha ha We just got done with the science fair, yes!!

Moffat Family said...

Lilly...you look like a little fiesta fireball! You look adorable. I am SO SO SO excited to see you soon!!

The Martin Family said...

Cute dress. You look like a little blonde Rosarita girl@!

Fleur de Bee said...

Oh My goodness I am laughing hysterically! This is so great!! I can't pick my favorite, although Lilly's was dang cute...I love how it's strapped on top of the car. There is an Ikea here with a yellow bug with boxes on top I should send you a pic of. Reminds me of hers! How fun!

xo Molly